5 SEO Tips to Get You Started
Posted on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015
Did you know that the top 3 results in a Google search get 55.13% of the traffic! According to a study performed by Advanced Web Ranking in July 2014. This is how much traffic each result gets:
- The first result gets 31.24% of the traffic
- The second result gets 14.04% of the traffic
- The third result gets 9.85% of the traffic
- The fourth result gets 6.97% of the traffic
So to sum it up if you’re not in the top 3 results for your search terms, you’re missing out on 55.13% of your potential customers! That’s a lot of money down the drain and to your competitors. So here is 5 quick and simple tips to get you started in climbing the Google rankings (also known as SEO – Search Engine Optimisation).
- Alt tags – For every image on your site it is important to include alt tags which describe what your image is. This assists Google in identifying your image and is a good practice.
- Eliminate Duplicate Content – If you contain any duplicate content on your site (not your business name, email etc.) scrap it right now! Go to your website, log in and trash it. Duplicate content harms your ranking and pushes you down in the results. Duplicate content could be in the form of the same text on two pages, two websites for the same business (sharing the same content) and copying others writing (this is illegal)! So get rid of any duplicate content.
- Title Tag – In the head section of your site it is recommended that you include a title tag describing what that page is about. This could be “John’s Motors”, or “About Us – Sally’s Hairdressers”. Note: Using the same title tag for every webpage is a form of duplicate content and is bad.
- Header Tags – Also know as H1, H2, H3 etc. In your heading tags include your primary keywords for your website. H1 tags are weighted slightly more than H2 and H3 tags in Google’s search algorithm so put the important stuff there.
- Website Speed – This might seem obvious but a fast website is a website customers like. The speed of a site in SEO correlates to the amount of traffic your site will receive. According to one study a 2 second decrease in site speed is a 100% increase in conversions (that’s right!). So make sure your site is snappy!
If you utilize the above techniques for your SEO plan, your search ranking should start increasing. Be patient though, it can take up to 12 months to notice a difference! SEO is an investment so start early and you’ll work your way up.